Please bring a bottle of water and make sure to hydrate at least two hours before class. We also recommend you keep an empty stomach a couple hours before class. The recommendations for hydration before, during and after exercise are as follows:
1. Daily intake of 8–10 glasses of water (8 oz. per glass) for normal activity, not including exercise
2. At least 2 hours prior to exercise, drink 16 oz. of water or fluid without caffeine
3. If possible, determine body weight while hydrated, prior to exercise
4. During exercise, drink frequently and early, before you are actually thirsty. Your goal is to replenish fluids at the same rate you are sweating. The maximal rate of replacement is, between 20–40 oz. per hour, based on absorption of fluid by the stomach
5. After exercise, evaluate change in body weight. Consume fluids to return to body weight prior to exercise.
Since the environment in our Heated Yoga classes increases body fluid loss, the above guidelines become even more important. Of additional concern, caffeinated beverages such as coffee, many teas, and sodas will increase fluid loss by increasing urinary output. Wine, beer, and other alcoholic beverages cause fluid loss as well. Students who drink beverages with caffeine or alcohol should consume equal amounts of water (in addition to the daily recommendation of 8–10 glasses) to avoid dehydration.